Not available for screening anymore
Celestial Wives of the Meadow Mari
Directed by Alexey Fedorchenko
- Russia 2012; 106 min
- Original version: Russian
- Genre: Drama
- Prize for Best Cinematography & Gorin Prize for Best Script- Kinotavr FF
- Wroclaw Grand Prix - New Horizons IFF
- FIPRESCI Prize & Federal Foreign Office’s Award - goEast Festival
- Sofia International Film Festival
- T-Mobile New Horizons International Film Festival
- Toronto International Film Festival
This is a collection of portraits, something of a “film-calendar”: 23 short stories about the Marij women, a sort of Decameron suspended between magic and realism, in which the Autonomus Republic of the Marij El serves as a backdrop for the collective history of a people of ancient tradition. A journey into a misterious and unknown part of the world.
Russia is a complex nation, considering that the territory is inhabited not by a single people, like in Latvia or Poland, but by at least 180 ethnic groups. The Finno-Ugric peoples are natives of central Russia, which now counts the largest number of churches and monasteries. The Meadow Mari represent one of the largest Finno-Ugric peoples, and the only one that maintained the tradition of communal prayer in the groves, a simple ritual in honour of the karts, the local priests. Their sacred mountain was blown up, and their groves were cut down, but very soon the authorities realized that they had endangered the life of the community... The celestial brides and wives of the Meadow Mari are indistinguishable from earthly wives
THE 29TH FEBRUARY FILM CO.
RED ARROW FILM CO.
ANTIPODE SALES & DISTRIBUTION