Courgette is an intriguing nickname for a 9-year-old boy. Although his unique story is surprisingly universal. After his mother’s sudden death, Courgette is befriended by a kind police officer, Raymond, who accompanies Courgette to his new foster home filled with other orphans his age. Courgette struggles at first to find his place in this strange, at times hostile, environment. Yet with Raymond’s help and his newfound friends, Courgette eventually learns to trust, find true love and at last a new family of his own.
- Cristal for a Feature Film, Audience Award - Annecy IAFF
- Audience Award (European Film) - San Sebastián IFF
- Kids Jury Award for Best Children’s Film - Zurich FF
- FIPRESCI Award - Bratislava IFF
- Best European Animated Feature - European Film Awards
- Best Animated Film, Best Writing (Adaptation) - César Awards
- Nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature
- DFCC Jury Prize - Audi Dublin IFF
- Best European Director of the Year, Best European Producer of the Year - Cartoon Movie Tributes
- Best Fiction Film, Best Film Score, Special Academy Award - Swiss Film Awards
- Annecy International Animation Film Festival 2016
- Toronto International Film Festival 2016
- Haifa International Film Festival 2016
- TIFF Kids International Film Festival 2017
- Quinzaine des Réalisateurs 2016
- Helsinki IFF - Love & Anarchy 2016
- Zurich Film Festival 2016
- Helsinki IFF - Love & Anarchy 2017
- Gaspard Schlatter
- Michel Vuillermoz
- Paulin Jaccoud
- Sixtine Murat
- Céline Sciamma
- Claude Barras
- David Toutevoix
- Valentin Rotelli
- Sophie Hunger
- RITA PRODUCTIONS
- INDIE SALES
- BLUE SPIRIT PRODUCTION
- GEBEKA FILMS
On one hand, the cartoon is never afraid to be cute, but more importantly, it’s committed to being real.
Sunny for the soul.
As witty and insightful as it is quietly shocking.
A diamond in the rough.
All but the most hardened adult hearts will be moved.
Claude Barras was born in 1973 in Sierre, Switzerland. He studied illustration and infography at École Emile Cohl in Lyon and graduated in anthropology and numerical images from Lyon. He also studied images of synthesis at the ECAL (École Cantonale d’Art de Lausanne). Claude works as freelance illustrator and animations director in Geneva. MY LIFE AS A COURGETTE, his debut feature, premiered in the 2016 Director's Fortnight in Cannes.