A young man is sent to "La Maca", a prison in the middle of the Ivorian forest ruled by its inmates.As tradition goes with the rising of the red moon, he is designated by the Boss to be the new"Roman" and must tell a story to the other prisoners. Learning what fate awaits him, he begins tonarrate the mystical life of the legendary outlaw named “Zama King” and has no choice but tomake his story last until dawn.
- Youth Jury award - IFF Rotterdam
- CineVision Award - Filmfest München
- Grand Prix - Fribourg IFF
- Venice International Film Festival 2020
- Toronto International Film Festival 2020
- Festival International du Film Francophone de Namur 2020
- Viennale 2020
- Sundance Film Festival 2021
- Göteborg Film Festival 2021
- International Film Festival Rotterdam 2021
- Filmfest München 2021
- Fribourg International Film Festival 2021
- Helsinki IFF - Love & Anarchy 2021
- Philippe Lacôte
- Tobie Marier Robitaille
- Aube Foglia
- Olivier Alary
- MEMENTO FILMS INTERNATIONAL
- PERIPHERIA PRODUCTIONS
- WASSAKARA PRODUCTIONS
- BANSHEE FILMS
This captivating hybrid of a movie mixes fairy-tale and storytelling elements with a vividly drawn backdrop of heightened realism.
Philippe Lacôte grew up in Abidjan near a movie theater called “Le Magic”. In 1989 he started as a radio reporter with a series of sound portraits on the fall of the Berlin Wall. Later, he made his first short films: THE MESSENGER and AFFAIRE LIBINSKI, which were shown at several international festivals.
Alongside these narrative-driven fictions, he has developed, since 2002, documentary work through films written in the first person (CAIRO HOURS, CHRONICLES OF WAR IN THE IVORY COAST). His first feature film, RUN, is at the junction of these two approaches. RUN won the Jerusalem Film Lab Award, and was presented at the Un Certain Regard section of the 2014 Cannes Film Festival. His project NIGHT OF THE KINGS was selected for the Venice Gap-financing Market 2019.