The story of a man who feels happy only when he is unhappy, a man addicted to sadness, who has such need for pity, he’s willing to do everything to evoke it from others. This is the life of a man in a world not cruel enough for him.
- Best Film, Best Director - Odesa IFF
- FIPRESCI Award - Torino FF
- Sundance Film Festival 2018
- International Film Festival Rotterdam 2018
- Göteborg Film Festival 2018
- Luxembourg City Film Festival 2018
- Hong Kong International Film Festival 2018
- Transilvania International Film Festival 2018
- Filmfest München 2018
- Odesa International Film Festival 2018
- New Horizons International Film Festival 2018
- Athens International Film Festival 2018
- Helsinki IFF - Love & Anarchy 2018
- Seville European Film Festival 2018
- Torino Film Festival 2018
- ArteKino Festival 2018
- Black Movie Independent Film Festival 2019
- Ethimis Filippou
- Babis Makridis
- Konstantinos Koukoulios
- FALIRO HOUSE
- NEDA FILM
- NEW EUROPE FILM SALES
Comedy is of the agonising variety that twists the knife in this already brutal character study.
Only with simplicity can cinema become a powerful narrative tool . The camera must be discreet and modest. Only then is the viewer open to the characters and the story.
Babis Makridis was born in Greece in 1970. He studied film at the Stavrakos Film School. His short film THE LAST FAKIR (2005) was awarded the Newcomer's Prize in Drama and at the Psarokokalo International Short Film Festival in Athens. In 2010 Raindance FF named Makridis one of “10 Greek Filmmakers to Watch.” L (2012) was Makridis's first feature film, selected at Sundance FF, Rotterdam Tiger Awards and many other international festivals. It was awarded the Grand Prix at the Molodist FF 2012. His second feature film PITY (2018) was also presented at Sundance FF and IFF Rotterdam. The film received various awards and was crowned Best Film at the Hellenic Film Academy Awards in 2019. It also won the Fipresci Award at the Torino FF, and Best Film & Best Director at the Odesa IFF. BIRDS OR HOW TO BE ONE (2020) is his third feature film.