Elle Marja, 14, is a reindeer-breeding Sami girl. Exposed to the racism of the 1930s and phrenological examinations at her boarding school, she starts dreaming of another life. To achieve this other life she has to become someone else and break all ties with her family and culture.
- Special Jury Prize, Best Actress (Lene Cecilia Sparrok) - Tokyo IFF
- Europa Cinemas Label, FEDEORA Award for Best Debut Director - Venice Days
- Human Values Award - Thessaloniki IFF
- Dragon Award Best Nordic Film, Cinematography Award - Göteborg FF
- Audience Award - Kosmorama Trondheim IFF
- Youth Jury Award - Luxembourg City FF
- Best Actress Baltic Gaze (Lene Cecilia Sparrok) - Vilnius IFF
- Special Recognition - Zlín FF
- Official Competition Grand Jury Prize, Golden Space Needle Award for Best Actress (Lene Cecilia Sparrok) - Seattle
- Toronto International Film Festival 2016
- Filmfest Hamburg 2016
- Tokyo International Film Festival 2016
- Sundance Film Festival 2017
- International Film Festival Rotterdam 2017
- Göteborg Film Festival 2017
- Istanbul Film Festival 2017
- Seattle International Film Festival 2017
- Zlín Film Festival 2017
- Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival 2017
- Helsinki IFF - Love & Anarchy 2017
- Lene Cecilia Sparrok
- Mia Erika Sparrok
- Maj Doris Rimpi
- Julius Fleischanderl
- Olle Sarri
- Hanna Alström
- Malin Crépin
- Andreas Kundler
- Ylva Gustafsson
- Amanda Kernell
- Sophia Olsson
- Petrus Sjövik
- Anders Skov
- NORDISK FILM PRODUCTION
- SVERIGE AB
Attractively assembled coming-of-age story.
A stirring debut.
Intense and blunt.
Sparrok is a revelation and the true highlight of this film.
A moving, classically rendered coming-of-age tale set against the scarring social prejudices of the 1930s.
Amanda Kernell was born in northern Sweden 1986, with a swedish mother and a sami father. Nowadays she lives in Copenhagen where she graduated from The National Film School of Denmark in 2013. She she has directed several acclaimed shorts including, NORTHERN GREAT MOUNTAIN upon which her feature film SAMI BLOOD was based. The short premiered at Sundance and has won various awards, such as the Audience Award at Göteborg International Film Festival and Best Swedish Short at Uppsala International Short Film Festival. Her debut feature SAMI BLOOD premiered at Venice IFF and went on to screen at many international festivals, including Toronto IFF, Sundance FF, IFF Rotterdam and more. Her new short film CHARTER will be on Sundance Film Festival 2020.